Step out of your savory recipe comfort zone with this Instant Pot Banana Bread. This recipe makes sweet, dense, and perfectly moist bread. You can say goodbye to dry banana bread forever!
New to the instant pot? Check out our instant pot guide here.
I adapted my classic banana bread recipe and transformed it into this instant pot recipe. It was actually easier than anticipated. If you’re looking to branch out into making sweets in your instant pot (or already have and are looking for more recipes), than this instant pot banana bread recipe is for you! You may also want to try your hand at making yogurt. My cold-start method is easy enough for beginners. (This post contains affiliate links)
I used my Fat Daddio 7 inch push pan for this recipe. If you don’t yet have a cake pan for your instant pot, than I highly recommend this pan. I also have a 6 inch spring form pan, but I like that you can fit a little bit of a bigger pan inside the instant pot without the spring. If you’re looking for more instant pot accessory recommendations, check out my instant pot gift guide. It’s a great list to get you started on all of the fun accessories available.
Tips on making instant pot banana bread:
You will need to start with water in your instant pot (of course) and add a trivet.
Using a long piece of foil, fold in thirds length wise and place it on top of the trivet. You need this to remove your bread after it has cooked.
Once your batter is ready and in the pan, you will need to add a paper towel over top. This collects any moisture that might get into your pan.
Then, you will wrap the entire pan (paper towel and all) up with foil. I know this sounds like a lot of steps, but it is super quick and will ensure you have a moist (but not soggy) banana bread.
Once your pan is wrapped up and ready to go, place it into the pot with the foil sling peaking out on both sides.
How to Convert your Favorite Banana Bread Recipe to an Instant Pot Recipe
- Converting a traditional banana bread recipe to an instant pot recipe is surprisingly easy. I have done it with this banana bread recipe and with a zucchini bread recipe with great success. Here is what you need to do:
- Take a recipe that makes one loaf of banana bread (or cut it in half if your recipe makes two loaves)
- Prepare the batter as you would for baking in the oven.
- Following the directions above for making banana bread in the Instant Pot, wrap up your bread and put it in your instant pot.
- Cook on high pressure for the same amount of time as you would in the oven
That’s it. The simple way to make your favorite banana bread recipe in the instant pot. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Banana Bread
Instant Pot Banana Bread is a moist and dense banana bread recipe.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup melted butter cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or soured milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup smashed banana (about three bananas
- Aluminum Foil Paper Towels
- Special equipment: Instant Pot 6 quart 7 inch push pan, trivet
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and mix in the wet ingredients, just until combined. The batter should still be lump with a few dry spots.
- Fold in the mashed banana.
- Grease a 7 inch push pan with oil and flour.
- Pour the batter into the pan and gently place a paper towel over the pan.
- Wrap the pan tightly with foil.
- Pour 1 cup water in the bowl of your instant pot and place a trivet inside.
- Create a foil sling with a long piece of foil and place inside the pot on top of the trivet.
- Gently place the pan with the banana bread inside the instant pot, making sure the foil sling is sticking up on both sides.
- Close the lid and set to sealing.
- Set to manual - high pressure - 65 minutes.
- Natural pressure release.
- Gently remove the pan using the foil sling.
- Remove the foil and paper towel. Use a clean paper towel to gently blot up in additional moisture that may have accumulated on top of the banana bread.
If using soured milk in this instant pot banana bread recipe, drop a teaspoon of white vinegar into 1/2 cup of milk. Let sit 10 minutes prior to using.