Whip up a batch of these tasty and kid-friendly spinach muffins with your leftover spinach and banana. Make sure you check our full list of cooking recipes for kids, too.
I don’t know what it is about these muffins, but my kids love them. Apparently, they are not anti-green food. At least, not this green food. I think it has something to do with the mashed banana (I usually raid my freezer stash).
This recipe calls for half white whole wheat flour. I have used all whole wheat without any problems. If your family is used to the whole wheat flavor, I say go 100%.
What is in kid-friendly spinach muffins?
These muffins are basically a banana muffin with pureed banana. They taste sweet – thanks to the banana – but pack in those extra greens your kids need in their diets. Some kids like to call them “hulk muffins”, which is fun, too.
- Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- The Best Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seed Meal
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil, Softened
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 6 Ounces Fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 Ripe Bananas, Mashed
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with 16 muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the white whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, flax seed meal, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the coconut oil, milk, and spinach in a blender and puree on high until smooth. Add the banana and vanilla and blend just until combined.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour the spinach mixture in the center. Fold just until combined, a few spots of flour left over is okay. The batter should be lumpy.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving Calories 157
We love these kid-friendly spinach muffins because they are healthy and taste great.