Welcome back to Soup Week! Today is DAY THREE of soup week. Be sure to sign up for our mailing list so you don’t miss a single post. You can see the whole Soup Week lineup at the bottom of this post!
Hamburger soup is one of those things that I had heard of for a long time, but had never tried and wasn’t sure if I would like it. I thought it was a soup that tastes like a hamburger. When in all actuality, it is a soup with hamburger (ground beef) in it. Once I figured that out (duh!), I was much more interested in experimenting with hamburger soup.
Since it’s Soup Week here at Aileen Cooks, I thought it was the perfect time to share my hamburger soup recipe. This recipe feeds my family of 4 (2 adults and 2 very small children) dinner without leftovers. If your family is bigger or you want leftovers, then I recommend you double the recipe. If you do freeze it, this soup make wonderful leftovers and freezes well.
- 1 medium russet potato
- 2 TBSP Milk
- 1 TSP Butter
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 ounces (1/2 small can) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash the potato and poke it all over with a fork. Place on a plate and cook in the microwave on high for 10 minutes, or until tender. Let cool slightly.
- Once the potato is cool enough to touch, slice in half and scoop out the potato from the skin and place in a bowl with the milk and butter. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the potato until no longer clumpy and the milk and butter are distributed. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef, onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Stir and cook until the meat is almost browned.
- Add the minced garlic and continue to cook until the meat is completely browned.
- Pour in the beef broth, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Whisk in the tomato paste and mashed potato.
- Bring to a boil and then cover and lower the heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.