Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice are a frugal and flavorful meal that whips up quick and with little hands-on time. It’s packed full of flavorful red beans, sausage, and white rice. Both the red beans and rice are cooked at the same time in your pressure cooker!
Red beans and rice in the instant pot
I made this recipe with my other partner in crime, aka taste tester, aka the cutest-red-head-on-the-block, Katie. She loved this recipe and insisted I snap a picture (or 6) of her gobbling up her instant pot red beans and rice. 🙂 I mean, isn’t she the cutest?
BE IN THE KNOW! JOIN OUR EXCLUSIVE INSTANT POT FACEBOOK GROUP!
Pot in pot cooking with a pressure cooker
A few notes about this recipe: this is a pot in pot recipe. Meaning, you will need a trivet and a small metal bowl to house the rice so it can cook over the red beans. Unfortunately, a springform or push pan will not work for this recipe as the water from the rice will leak out. I’ve linked to the products I personally use on Amazon, using affiliate links.
New to the instant pot? Check out our instant pot guide here.
If you are new to pot-in-pot cooking with your instant pot, don’t feel intimidated. It’s really easy and a great way to see what your electric pressure cooker is capable of doing for you. It saves time, gives you fewer pots to clean, and produces a delicious meal (I have proof, my 3-year-old ate it). 😉
More cajun inspired recipes
We have shared a few other cajun recipes that you might enjoy. Check them out below:
- Instant Pot Jambalaya with Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Crockpot Cajun Sausage and Potatoes
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice are a frugal and flavorful meal that whips up quick and with little hands-on time. It's packed full of flavorful red beans, sausage, and white rice. Both the red beans and rice are cooked at the same time in your pressure cooker!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 12.8 ounce package chicken andouille sausage
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed well
- 2 cups water
- Set instant pot to saute and heat olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add onion and saute until soft.
- Mix in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Turn instant pot off.
- Mix in 1 cup water, beans, bell pepper, sausage, creole seasoning, hot sauce, and bay leaves.
- Place trivet inside instant pot, on top of bean mixture.
- In a small metal mixing bowl (one that wiil fit inside your pot), mix together rice and water. Place bowl of rice on top of trivet.
- Close lid and set to sealing.
- Program instant pot to manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Quick Pressure Release.
- Fluff rice and serve with red beans.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 625Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 102mgSodium 1371mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 9gSugar 8gProtein 39g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
More instant pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Meatloaf with Potatoes and Carrots
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Apple BBQ Ribs
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
Did you try this recipe for instant pot red beans and rice? Let us know what you thought with a rating (above) or comment (below). You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks and #aileencooks.