Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice are a frugal and flavorful meal that whips up quick and with little hands-on time, thanks to my kitchen partner in crime – the Instant Pot.
BE IN THE KNOW! JOIN OUR EXCLUSIVE INSTANT POT FACEBOOK GROUP!
I made this recipe with my other partner in crime, aka taste tester, aka the cutest-red-head-on-the-block, Katie. She loved this recipe and insisted I snap a picture (or 6) of her gobbling up her instant pot red beans and rice. 🙂 I mean, isn’t she the cutest? (this post contains affiliate links)
New to the instant pot? Check out our instant pot guide here.
A few notes about this recipe: this is a pot in pot recipe. Meaning, you will need a trivet and a small metal bowl to house the rice so it can cook over the red beans. Unfortunately, a springform or push pan will not work for this recipe as the water from the rice will leak out. I’ve linked to the products I personally use on Amazon, using affiliate links.
If you are new to pot-in-pot cooking with your instant pot, don’t feel intimidated. It’s really easy and a great way to see what your electric pressure cooker is capable of doing for you. It saves time, gives you fewer pots to clean, and produces a delicious meal (I have proof, my 3-year-old ate it). 😉
Okay, on to the recipe for Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice! Enjoy.
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice. Make this classic dish in your instant pot electric pressure cooker.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 12.8 ounce package chicken andouille sausage
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed well
- 2 cups water
- Set instant pot to saute and heat olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add onion and saute until soft.
- Mix in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Turn instant pot off.
- Mix in 1 cup water, beans, bell pepper, sausage, creole seasoning, hot sauce, and bay leaves.
- Place trivet inside instant pot, on top of bean mixture.
- In a small metal mixing bowl (one that wiil fit inside your pot), mix together rice and water. Place bowl of rice on top of trivet.
- Close lid and set to sealing.
- Program instant pot to manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Quick Pressure Release.
- Fluff rice and serve with red beans.
Amount Per Serving Calories 608
- Instant Pot Meatloaf with Potatoes and Carrots
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Apple BBQ Ribs
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup