Make this hearty and comforting instant pot chicken pot pie! Chicken pot pie in the instant pot is so delicious with buttery and flakey biscuits on top!
This creamy instant pot chicken dish made with peas, thyme, carrots, and onion. It’s topped with the best biscuits you will ever taste! We make the pot pie filling in the instant pot and then transfer it to the oven to bake the buttery and flakey biscuits on top. Yum!
I love a good pot pie dish. We have also shared recipes for instant pot chicken pot pie soup, slow cooker chicken pot pie soup, and mini chicken pot pies. This recipe might just be my favorite! It’s the perfect winter comfort dish!
If you love instant pot recipes, make sure you get my cookbook, The “I Love My Instant Pot” Affordable Meals Recipe Book.
Making chicken pot pie in the instant pot
It’s incredibly easy to make chicken pot pie in your pressure cooker. The only thing that doesn’t turn out great is an actual pie crust because it doesn’t come out crispy and flakey. That’s why we share this hack for topping your pot pie with biscuits and finishing the pot pie casserole in the oven.
Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Recipe with Biscuits
I love a good biscuit. Not only because they taste good, but because they are so easy and quick to make!
If you have never made biscuits, don’t worry! I have you covered with this recipe. Biscuits are a very simple recipe made with just flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and milk. You probably already have everything on hand to make these tasty biscuits.
Can I freeze instant pot chicken pot pie?
This recipe for pressure cooker chicken pot pie is freezer friendly. Make sure to let it fully cool before freezing. Wrap the casserole dish in two layers of foil. Label and date the foil. Freeze up to 3 months.
Does it make good leftovers?
Yes, this is great recipe to eat again on a second day or eat for lunch over a couple of days. Keep in mind, that leftovers only stay fresh in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. If you plan on storing it longer than 3 days, we recommend freezing it?
What is the difference between chicken pot pie and chicken and dumplings?
These two recipes are very similar. The biggest difference is chicken and dumplings is cooked with the biscuits ripped into pieces and cooked on top of the filling and is a bit more soup-like.
Chicken pot pie with biscuits is made by cooking the filling in the instant pot and then transferring the filling to the oven and baking it with biscuits on top. If you are looking for a delicious chicken and biscuits recipe, try our recipe for instant pot chicken and dumplings.
What to serve with pressure cooker chicken pot pie?
This recipe is an all-inclusive meal. If you do want to serve it with a couple of sides to make it stretch further, here are a few ideas:
- Green salad
- Roasted Root Vegetables Recipe
- Triple Berry Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Instant Pot Carrots with Brown Sugar Glaze
- Honey Lime Fruit Salad
- Buttered Carrots
Make this hearty and comforting instant pot chicken pot pie! It's so delicious when made in your pressure cooker with buttery and flakey biscuits on top!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup cold milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the chicken, onion, carrots, celery, peas, garlic, thyme, pepper, salt, and chicken broth inside instant pot.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to sealing.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button and set to 12 minutes.
- Natural pressure release for 10 minutes and quick release remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the chicken and transfer to a cutting board. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Add chicken back to instant pot.
- Press the saute button on the instant pot and bring the filling to a boil.
- Whisk in the flour until completely incorporated and cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Stir milk and chopped chicken. Stir gently to combine.
- Allow to boil, stirring often to avoid scorching, for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Transfer the chicken filling to the prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the cold butter and mix together with a fork until the flour forms little pea sized crumbles.
- Slowly mix in the milk until a dough forms.
- Knead 8-10 times and turn out onto a floured surface.
- Roll the biscuit dough 1/4 inch thick and use the top of a glass (or cookie cutter) to cut out 2 inch rounds of dough.
- Once you run out of cutting space, squish the biscuit dough back into a ball and roll out and cut again.
- Place cut biscuit dough evenly across the top of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until the biscuits have browned slightly and cooked through.
- Allow the pot pie to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1/8 casserole
Amount Per Serving Calories 467 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 118mg Sodium 779mg Carbohydrates 44g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 3g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 44g
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
Did you try this recipe for instant pot chicken pot pie? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment. You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks.