As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Zucchini baked ziti is the low carb version of the favorite Italian dish yet still gives you that cheesy comfort food feeling! You are going to want to bookmark this recipe because it’s guaranteed to be a family favorite!
I love, love, love baked ziti. It’s one of my very favorite pasta dishes. I have been making classic baked ziti for years and order it almost every time I got to Olive Garden. Another favorite low carb casserole recipe is creamy pesto chicken. Make sure you check out our long list of Zucchini Recipes, too!
Other Family Favorites
Looking for more recipe inspo? Your family will surely love these recipes:
Low Carb Baked “Ziti”
Lately, I have been making a portion of it low carb with zucchini noodles for my husband. The zoodles come out surprisingly tender and absorb all of the marinara and cheese – making it hard to tell that they aren’t actually spaghetti. We tested it on our kids and they thought they were eating spaghetti!
So, of course, I had to share it with all of you. Because this healthier version of baked ziti is just too good not to share.
Cooking with zoodles
If you haven’t cooked with zoodles (aka zucchini noodles or zucchini spirals) before, don’t be afraid! They are incredibly easy to work with. You can make your own using a vegetable spritzer and fresh zucchini or use frozen zoodles as I do in this recipe.
Either way, you are going to want to sauté them first and drain any extra liquid using a mesh sieve before adding them to the casserole dish.
How to make zucchini baked ziti?
Making zucchini baked ziti is very similar to regular baked ziti. Really, the only difference is you are not using ziti, you are using zoodles. We layer them between a simple meat sauce (We use jarred marinara in this recipe but you can also make it from scratch using our instant pot spaghetti sauce recipe) and two different kinds of cheese (cheddar and mozzarella) and then top them with some grated parmesan cheese for an extra layer of flavor.
Bake it to cheesy perfection in the oven for about 30 minutes and serve this delicious lightened-up comfort classic to your family and save any leftovers for lunch the next day.
Can I freeze baked ziti with zucchini?
Unfortunately, zucchini is one of the only vegetables that don’t freeze well. I have not personally tried freezing this dish, but I would not recommend it. Zucchini has a really high water content and it may make the overall texture watery when it freezes and then defrosts.
What to serve with baked zucchini?
Serve this with Cheesy Garlic Bread or a simple green salad.
Zucchini Baked Ziti Recipe
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen zucchini spirals
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 28-ounce jar marinera sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add frozen zucchini spirals.
- Cover and let cook, 6 minutes.
- Remove the lid and flip. Season with salt and pepper and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Drain the zucchini in a mesh sieve.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and ground beef. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Mix in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Drain the fat from the ground beef and mix in the marinera sauce.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Once meat sauce is cooked, start building your baked ziti dish.
- Start with half of the cooked zucchini spirals in an even layer in the prepared casserole dish.
- Spread half of the sauce over the zucchini and sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzerella and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Repeat with reamining zucchini, sauce, and cheese.
- Sprinkle baked ziti with parmesan cheese.
- Place casserole in oven and bake, uncovered for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling around the edges.
More Casserole Recipes:
- Chicken Bacon Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Turkey Noodle Casserole
- Cheesy Ranch Chicken and Potato Casserole
Did you try this zucchini baked ziti recipe? Let us know what you thought with a rating and comment. You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks.