Make this delicious and hearty instant pot zuppa toscana soup at home! This recipe makes a large batch that tastes wonderful the next day. It’s filled with hot Italian sausage, kale, hearty potatoes, garlic, and onion.
New to the instant pot? Check out our instant pot guide here.
Olive Garden is my inspiration for this delicious Instant Pot zuppa toscana
I first tried Zuppa Toscana at Olive Garden – which is where most of us have probably tried it. I was out running errands with my son after his gymnastics class one day. We stopped to pick up some winter clothes for him and his sisters. He was so sweet and patient while I shopped. We were probably in there for over an hour and he was on his best behavior. As we left, he told me he wanted to walk to a restaurant and eat.
I didn’t really know what to think of his request, but figured I would try to humor him. I look around and there it is. Olive Garden. Perfect. We had been to Olive Garden many times, but not normally at lunch. I knew I didn’t want to eat a huge plate of pasta (Baked Ziti is my normal go-to), so I opted for soup and salad (and bread sticks).
I had heard some many rave reviews of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana soup – I knew I had to try it. It was so delicious! I was completely hooked, I even asked for a second bowl (so much for eating light). As soon as my taste buds came in contact with this amazing soup, I knew I needed to recreate it at home for my family.
Cooking directions for zuppa toscana in the instant pot electric pressure cooker and slow cooker
I decided to start with my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker since it is my go-to these days. You really can’t beat the 10 minute soup button. You will not be disappointed with my version of instant pot zuppa toscana soup. Its filling, creamy, and just a little spicy. It’s filling enough by itself, but you can always pair it with homemade french bread or biscuits.
For my slow cooker lovers out there, I have included directions for zuppa toscana soup in the crockpot, too. This soup is delicious either way and really just depends on your cooking preference.
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup
Make this delicious and hearty instant pot zuppa toscana soup at home! This recipe makes a large batch that tastes wonderful the next day. It's filled with hot Italian sausage, kale, hearty potatoes, garlic, and onion.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound hot italian sausage casings removed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 6 russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 4 cups kale stems removed
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set instant pot to saute. Heat olive oil and add Italian sausage.
- Cook sausage until brown, breaking it up into pieces as it cooks.
- Pour in chicken broth and water. Scrape any bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Add in potatoes, onion, kale, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Gently stir.
- Close lid and set to sealing.
Set Instant Pot to soup. (10 minutes on high pressure)
- Quick Pressure Release. Remove lid.
- While soup is still hot, whisk in heavy cream and flour until combined.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan of medium-high heat.
- Cook Italian Sausage until brown and broken into small pieces. Remove from heat.
- Combine browned Italian sausage, potatoes, kale, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in slow cooker.
- Pour chicken broth and 3 cups water over the top (the remaining cup can be discarded).
- Close lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Whisk in the cream and flour until the flour is fully combined.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes:
- Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili