Learn how to make a whole chicken in a crockpot with this easy to follow tutorial. We also offer tips and tricks for turning leftover chicken into future meals!
Cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot is one of my favorite ways to make chicken. Not only is it budget-friendly, but it’s also insanely easy and can provide more than one meal for my family.
Normally, I start the roasted chicken in the morning and it’s ready for dinner that night. We will eat what we want from the chicken along with a couple of easy sides like a Buttered Carrots, a simple side salad, honey roasted carrots or Instant Pot Butternut Squash, zesty potatoes.
How to Make a Whole Chicken in a Crockpot
Preparing the whole chicken in the crockpot is fairly easy.
- Start by roughly chopping an onion and arrange it on the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken and place it on top of the onion.
- Rub the chicken down with an easy homemade spice mixture.
- Cover the crockpot and cook the whole chicken breast side up for 6-8 hours on low.
- You can start it in the morning and it will be ready by dinner time.
What to do with leftover crockpot whole chicken
After we eat what we want from the crockpot whole chicken, I pick off the leftover meat. This usually leaves me with 2-3 cups of chicken (depending on the size of the bird and how hungry we are that night).
I either shred or chop up the chicken and put it directly in my freezer – divided up into two containers. Enough for two more meals! Yay!
Lastly, I put the remainder of the meat and chicken bones back into my crockpot for overnight chicken stock. With that, I usually end up with 8-9 cups of broth. Definitely enough for at least one batch of soup. (Update: I have also started making chicken stock in my instant pot)
What to serve with crockpot whole roasted chicken
Make this fall-off-the-bone whole chicken recipe in your crockpot or slow cooker!
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- Mix together the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, and dried parsley. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the onion and arrange it on the bottom of your crockpot.
- Remove giblets from bird.
- Place bird breast side up in crockpot, on top of chopped onion.
- Rub entire bird with spice mixture.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 42Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 13mgSodium 370mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 4g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Did you try this recipe for how to cook a whole chicken in a crockpot? Let us know what you thought with a rating or comment. You can also tag us in your recipe creations on social media using @aileencooks.